What a week I had! We closed down a big project at work and are getting ramped up for the next one. It was busy! Now I am happy that the weekend is here so I can relax and have some fun (but first I need to calm down and re-focus).
I bought some more whole oat tops and chamomile from Mountain Rose Herbs, so I had to re-package them into a bigger jar. As I was doing that, I got inspired to make a nice, mellow, relaxing tisane to start out my weekend right! If I rest well tonight, then tomorrow I can have all day to play!
I am enjoying a cup of it right now. It’s very mellow flavored. It tastes like a very light chamomile tea, but it is packed with a few other goodies to promote relaxation and health. It’s plenty sweet on its own, but I suppose you could add some honey if you like it sweeter.
I’ve been a little under the weather this week. I am not sure if I picked up a touch of the flu, if it’s due to allergies, or if my immunity is a little low due to my dieting, but I haven’t been sleeping well and feel like I need some nourishment.
Also, I don’t know if this happens to anyone else out there, but I swear — every friggin’ Saturday I wake up with a migraine. It must be because I can finally relax on Friday night and it must release some hormones or chemicals that cause it. I have tried going to bed at the same time as usual on Friday, not eating anything different, waking up at the same time on Saturday as I do during the week, and etc. It has been happening for years, and I am still no closer to solving it. I am trying to head it off at the pass by using some herbs that are both relaxing and have analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties. I have tried feverfew in the past, but it didn’t seem to work for me.
I haven’t even planned my weekend activities yet, but I do have quite a list of things I need to remake for my next book, so I will probably pick away at that.
Here are the herbs I chose tonight: (and for some reason the catnip didn’t make it into the picture).
- Chamomile – for relaxation and sleep
- Whole Oat Tops (milky oats) – Nervous system tonic, also helps with sleep and anxiety
- Oat Straw – helps to reduce brain fog, reduces inflammation, stress remedy
- Marshmallow Leaf – soothes respiratory inflammation, moistens mucous membranes (I am hoping it works for dry, irritated sinuses). Contains salicylic acid, so it is supposed to help with headaches.
- Rosehips – packed full of vitamin C, boosts immunity
- California Poppy – reduces insomnia, anxiety and tension. It is a sedative and an analgesic (reduces pain).
- Rose Buds – many of the same benefits of as the rosehips, but they also look very pretty mixed into the tisane.
- Catnip – Another sleep inducing herb which is effective in reducing stress and anxiety, and speeds healing.
Mellow Friday Tisane
Makes 1 pint
1 part = 2 heaping tablespoons full
- Chamomile – 2 parts (4 tablespoons)
- Oat Tops – 1 part (2 tablespoons)
- Oat Straw – 1 part (2 tablespoons)
- Rosehips – 1 part (2 tablespoons)
- Catnip – 1/2 part (1 tablespoon)
- Marshmallow Leaf – 1/2 part (1 tablespoon)
- California Poppy – 1/2 part (1 tablespoon)
- Rose Buds, crushed – 1/2 part (1 tablespoon)
- Measure and mix all the herbs together and put them into a pint jar.
- Heat 3 cups of water for 3 minutes in the microwave on the high setting.
- Put 3 tablespoons of the mixture in a fillable tea bag and put this into the tea strainer. Try to get some of the rosehips in there. They tend to sink and disappear into the jar.
- Pour the water through the herbs in the tea strainer and let it steep for 15 minutes.
- Gently squeeze the water out and discard the tea bag (compost it).
- Serve unsweetened or add 1/2 teaspoon of honey.
Is anyone enjoying these little tisane recipes? If so, I would love to hear about it and what your impressions were. Did they help? Did you enjoy them? Did you improve on them? Feel free to leave some comments if you are so inclined.